[swift-users] "business applications market" flame

Dru Satori dru at druware.com
Wed Jan 6 18:27:48 CST 2016

Jens,

Pretty sure that we aren’t far apart here, but it is more a matter of perspective. I should preface this next bit by the statement that I was heavily invested in personally in getting Mono running on OS X, and today, I consider it a steaming pile of dung for OS X development because somewhere along the way, many of the business development things that needed to happen slipped by the way side.

The thing that I see about Swift is that right now, today, on Linux or OS X, if Swift is installed, I can open a terminal:

Touch hello.swift
vim hello.swift

print("Hello Swift");

Esc
:wq
swift hello.swift

And it runs, and behaves exactly like php, perl, ruby, etc. This makes it approachable like a scripting language.  REPL and Playgrounds give it an interactivity that is reminiscent of Visual Basic, which sucked as language at it’s inception, but a very good case can be made, that Windows ascended to dominance over GEM, Mac and later the Amiga, entirely on the shoulders of Visual Basic and the Hobby Developers with it’s low barrier of entry.  They cut their teeth on BASIC, and graduated to the GUI with VB.

From a technical perspective, Swift is much more C like, but at the same time, yes, it is a strongly typed language, but for the casual user, my example above:

let hello = "Hello Swift";

print("\(hello)");

Works exactly the same as:

let hello : String = "Hello Swift";

print("\(hello)”);

Removing that typing and the language is indistinguishable from many of the modern scripting languages.