[swift-users] Prototyping what Swift can look like in educational settings

Loïc Lecrenier loiclecrenier at icloud.com
Wed Jan 6 11:58:55 CST 2016

Hi Don,

I don’t understand these complaints.

The String class is complicated, but it is not a disaster, it just needs more convenience methods. See: https://www.mikeash.com/pyblog/friday-qa-2015-11-06-why-is-swifts-string-api-so-hard.html for an explanation of the String API.

Optionals is an essential feature for writing safe code. I don’t see how it presents a giant spider web of interconnectedness. Plenty of languages have optionals (Rust, Haskell) and it has brought nothing but advantages.

Swift does not have primitives, but I consider that a plus: every type has access to the same features. It makes the language more consistent and more flexible. Also note that there is no performance cost to the way Swift represents Int. They are just as efficient as C’s int.
I also don’t understand what you mean by “unwrapping is required, sometimes explicit, sometimes implicit”.

I won’t comment on non-checked exceptions. But I’m not convinced this is a very valuable feature.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean by “package”, but isn't the Swift Package Manager a good solution for packages?
Namespaces also exist, although it is quite rudimentary. There is a proposal draft for “beefing up” import that tries to improve that.

Honestly, it seems like you haven’t given Swift a fair shot, and wanted to see a Java/C# clone instead.
It is also evolving very quickly, so I wouldn’t lose hope :-)

Regards,

Loïc