[swift-users] How to define interdependent modules in a package?

Daniel Dunbar daniel_dunbar at apple.com
Mon Jan 4 11:32:56 CST 2016

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 10:15 PM, Tarun Joshi <tj.joshi7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We don't yet have anyone actively working on this feature, though...
>
> If its not pretty complex and you think a beginner like me can
> implement it, I'd be happy to help. Some pointers would be helpful :)

It's pretty complex. :)

We need:
1. A way to detect (from `swiftc`) when a failure was due to a missing import. This should be a small focused feature proposal, and is the major minimal thing we need.
2. Once we have #1, we need a way to bubble that information back to swiftpm.
3. Once we have #2, we need to take some action. That could initially just be reporting the missing dependency.
4. Once we have #3, it would be nice to have a UI that offers to automatically update the manifest file to add the dependency. This depends on having the infrastructure for automatically editing the manifest file.

 - Daniel