[swift-users] Failure to import SwiftShims at the REPL

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:16:48 CST 2015

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Jason Dusek via swift-users
<swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> On Ubuntu 14.04, trying out Swift from the REPL fails for me when
> Swift is unable to find the SwiftShims module. All other aspects of
> installation -- Clang 3.6, libicu-dev -- are correct as far as I can
> tell.
>
> Putting `swift` in `strace` reveals that it tries to find and open
>
>   /usr/local/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/SwiftShims.swiftmodule
>
> and, failing to find it, errors out. However, shortly thereafter it finds
>
>   /usr/local/lib/swift/shims/module.map

Hi Jason,

Could you try unpacking the archive somewhere under your home
directory and trying to run the REPL from there?  We haven't tested
installing the package into / or /usr/local, and since there is no
automated way to uninstall it, we are not recommending to install the
.tar.gz packages into / or /usr/local.

Dmitri