[swift-users] Failure to import SwiftShims at the REPL

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 19:36:25 CST 2015

Hi List,

On Ubuntu 14.04, trying out Swift from the REPL fails for me when
Swift is unable to find the SwiftShims module. All other aspects of
installation -- Clang 3.6, libicu-dev -- are correct as far as I can
tell.

Putting `swift` in `strace` reveals that it tries to find and open

  /usr/local/lib/swift/linux/x86_64/SwiftShims.swiftmodule

and, failing to find it, errors out. However, shortly thereafter it finds

  /usr/local/lib/swift/shims/module.map

and even manages to load the module text. I've included ~80 lines of
relevant `strace` output at this Gist:

  https://gist.github.com/solidsnack/d902a761877b0f797835

One aspect of this that puzzles me is why it only searches for the
module in one place when there are potentially many it could be
are posting interesting things to this list) but not others.

I would appreciate it so much if someone could help me to get the
Swift distribution working on Ubuntu 14.04.

Best Regards,
  Jason Dusek