[swift-users] emoji in source code failed to compile in linux ubuntu

Alex Blewitt alex.blewitt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:12:25 CST 2015

Yes, I think there is a problem in the way that the Unicode is being entered. The unicode sequence for UTF-8 should look like f0 9f 98 83 0a.

However it looks like the character is being encoded in your file as: ed a0 bd ed b8 80 which I’m not sure where that’s come from. But it does look like the editor that you’re using isn’t converting the unicode to the right value.

In the meantime, you can print out a smiley by entering a unicode escape sequence as follows:

print("Hello \u{1f603}")

Alex