[swift-users] IDE for Linux

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Thu Dec 3 17:41:29 CST 2015

> On Dec 3, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Cyril Graze wrote:
>
> Is it possible to develop any type of application with a GUI?

Sure. It’s pretty straightforward to call C APIs from Swift. You just need to learn your way around a few glue classes like UnsafePointer*. The best reference for now would be Apple’s book Using Swift With Cocoa And Objective-C. I don’t think that book is part of the open-source drop, but you can get it for free from the iBooks store.

—Jens

* Just be careful to encapsulate all the unsafe parts of the code into a class or module that exposes a safe API, then use that API in your app code itself. If you go sprinkling unsafe stuff all over your app, it’s going to be really nasty to debug...