[swift-server-dev] Prototype of the discussed HTTP API Spec

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Tue May 30 07:04:11 CDT 2017

On 30 May 2017, at 13:09, Chris Bailey <BAILEYC at uk.ibm.com> wrote:
> > 1)
> > One thing I would like to see is a separate item in the repository that contains just the actual API. Instead of the API intermingled with the > concrete implementation. Similar to what Johannes’ did. Could be a document called API.md.
> > Update this when the API changes due to workgroup work.
>
> Which would be more preferable, a full Jazzy-built API doc, just a .md file or both?

Just an .md file would be preferable by me.

> I'd prefer not to take the multi-branch approach if possible, if nothing else because of the difficulty in keeping the branches in sync. We should be able to propose implementation changes via PRs that people can clone, test and compare, and we can merge in what makes sense - removing blue-socket is a good example.

I think it would be worthwhile to maintain multiple versions, especially during testing. E.g. the Blue one may make sense to checkout SSL setups, while a GCD one would be the default imp? Something like that, kinda relates to when/how we get a common socket API?

But anyways, not really important.

> > 2)
> > The other thing that would be nice is a demo tool in the Sources directory, again similar to what Johannes showed (his tiny echod sample).
>
> It looks like Carl has done that already in SimpleResponseCreator.swift:

Ah, OK. What I meant is a tool target alongside the implementation, like:

  Sources/
    HTTPSketch/
      HTTPRequest.swift
    EchoDemo/
      main.swift - something which actually runs

hh