[swift-server-dev] Package name Re: Prototype of the discussed HTTP API Spec

Helge Heß me at helgehess.eu
Sat May 27 05:39:04 CDT 2017

On 27 May 2017, at 05:46, Carl Brown <carl.brown.swift at linuxswift.com> wrote:
>> On May 26, 2017, at 8:34 PM, Helge Heß via swift-server-dev <swift-server-dev at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> Was there a discussion on the module name yet? I would assume it to be more like S3.HTTPRequest, alongside the other protocols. Or is there even an explicit module, or just an abstract API?
>
> We hadn’t.  I called my implementation`HTTPSketch` just because that’s what was in the Subject line of the email thread.
>
> We have to name it something, because we have to put some name in the `Package.swift` file if people are going to be able to `import` it.

I assumed it would be something like `ServerFoundation` alongside `Foundation` This could then have all the stuff this group produces (sockets, ssl, http, etc). Either as different targets or as a single one.

Though in the end many things are not really ‘Server’. That includes the HTTP stuff which could essentially replace the client lib in Foundation? So maybe it is more like ‘Foundation/X’? :->

> I, personally, think that calling it `HTTP` is weird and likely to cause confusion (not to mention make it really hard to find on Google and StackOverflow), but then I spent so long as an iOS developer that I still want to put `NS` on the front of everything, so I might not be the right one to decide.

Python has `httplib`, which is like in the Python context. Other stuff uses the product name (Netty etc).

hh

P.S.: Prefixing stuff as NextStep sounds entirely fine to me :-) Though in the server context we should prefix w/ WO!