[swift-server-dev] Next HTTP API meeting

Logan Wright logan at qutheory.io
Mon Mar 20 17:11:49 CDT 2017

Helge,

At some point someone has to do the work, yes, but ultimately there are a
lot of stakeholders to consider and if there's a chance that they can all
find common ground, then it must be pursued. The point of this group is to
provide base level APIs that can work with the existing frameworks in a way
that adds value. Apple isn't going to do this (or has at least made no
indication of any interest whatsoever), and for IBM to just do it, I don't
think choosing one framework to steamroll is the answer and defeats the
purpose of the group. Technically there are many reference implementations
already, Kitura, Perfect, Vapor, Foundation to some degree.

Things like sockets/security/crypto are easily agreed upon and moved
forward with little impact to existing frameworks. The HTTP models and
architecture have by far the greatest impact of any other feature of the
server side group and so the discussion will take as long as it needs to in
order to get it right. The existing frameworks have a lot of experience in
these areas for what has worked and what hasn't, and they all have existing
architectures and paradigms that need to be accounted for as much as
possible.

There has already been a great deal of compromise on the parsing and
serialization layer, and I'm confident we can get somewhere with models as
well. I'd personally like to see us more explicitly explore protocols, I
haven't seen anything so far that actually requires a concrete model and
would perhaps be an easier way for us to reach consensus. In the meantime,
I think it's important to get something that works for everyone the first
time as much as possible. If that means more discussion, then that is what
is required. Eventually, as with other things, I'm sure we can come to an
agreement with time.

- Logan

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 9:07 PM Helge Heß via swift-server-dev <