[swift-server-dev] FYI: Swift Development Environment especially works in Linux

Alex Blewitt alblue at apple.com
Thu Jan 12 05:04:21 CST 2017

Thanks for the kind words :)

This looks good - being able to use other editors for Linux will help move adoption forward.

Couple of minor observations:

1. The 'package describe' command isn't in Swift 3.0 at the moment, so you'll need a recent build to run it. You could infer a source directory by assuming a top level, or the Sources or src folders, and just expand all the files in there if missing.
https://github.com/jinmingjian/sde/blob/97889f2c322ba5619eca30fcfada36ab885ed74a/src/server/server.ts#L36

2. The /usr/bin/sh doesn't exist on macOS and (some) Linux installations. You should use /bin/sh instead.
https://github.com/jinmingjian/sde/blob/97889f2c322ba5619eca30fcfada36ab885ed74a/src/server/server.ts#L35 <https://github.com/jinmingjian/sde/blob/97889f2c322ba5619eca30fcfada36ab885ed74a/src/server/server.ts#L35>

Otherwise, if you fix/work around those, it works on macOS :)

Alex