[swift-server-dev] Keeping servers robust

Andrew Akira Toulouse andrew at atoulou.se
Thu Nov 24 04:39:34 CST 2016

In a HTTP-centric universe, FastCGI or load balancer software are great
solutions, but ceding control to an opaque external system means any
somewhat stateful network traffic that isn't HTTP is going to have to build
an ad-hoc system for dealing with a process that can be brought down by a
logic error.

In a world where you're dealing with continuous byte streams, for example
some sort of video encoder or multiplexer (main point: dependent on a
finite hardware resource) where you can't just scale the worker processes
really high, tighter coupling between the server process and its recovery
mechanism seems like it'd be important.