[swift-server-dev] HTTP Parser

Chris Bailey BAILEYC at uk.ibm.com
Sun Nov 6 03:44:11 CST 2016

Whilst it might not feel like it, it seems to be that we're all pulling in
the same direction.

Tony said:
>> I think if the API design feels “alien” to Foundation, then we either
need to update the Foundation API to feel like it fits in with Swift or
design the server API to fit in with Foundation.

>> I’ll keep pushing for this throughout the process. It’s really
important that we have a coherent stack of software from top to bottom.
Ending up with different model objects for URLRequest used in the same app
via two frameworks would be really unfortunate.

I think this completely aligns with what everyone is saying - we want/need
a coherent API stack with seamless interop between any new APIs and the
existing ones. The only thing we need to work on is the approach to
achieving that.

For me, and I think that this is the approach that Paulo is pushing for,
is that we should first look at "what do we think is the right approach",
without any constraints. Once we understand that, and any gap there is
between that and the Foundation approach, we can determine how we close
that gap - whether we can do that by evolving APIs, or whether it requires
compromises for the sake of developer experience and application code
portability, etc.

Chris