[swift-server-dev] HTTP Parser

Paulo Faria paulo at zewo.io
Fri Nov 4 18:08:04 CDT 2016

> With respect to adopting other core Swift ideas like value types: we turned 20 classes into value types last year. This included a ton of work to adopt standard library protocols and improve type safety. It is an absolutely huge surface amount of Foundation’s total API surface area. It’s a large statement about how much we value making Foundation’s API consistent for Swift.

Yeah! I really love the effort you’re putting into making Foundation more “Swifty”. That doesn’t go unnoticed.

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 8:49 PM, Tony Parker <anthony.parker at apple.com> wrote:
>
> However, I do not believe there is such a fundamental conceptual mismatch here that we cannot preserve one of the most useful aspects of developing with the iOS, macOS SDKs - consistent types and low impedance mismatch between API at all levels of the stack.

I definitely value "consistent types and low impedance mismatch between API at all levels of the stack”. I just hope the APIs are designed with the best of Swift in mind. Then after we get a good design, we can see if it fits Foundation, and then make the adaptations there. I think this approach would make Foundation follow along and become even more “Swiftier” with time. Of course this is easier said than done, but I believe that’s what would make the ecosystem as a whole become better for Swift.