[swift-evolution] Handling unknown cases in enums [RE: SE-0192]

Dave DeLong swift at davedelong.com
Fri Jan 12 17:27:41 CST 2018

> On Jan 12, 2018, at 4:22 PM, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose at apple.com> wrote:
>
> No, it's "Revision-locked imports”.

Ah, yeah I can see how the rev-locked imports is a variation on “I’ve copied in this library”.

> A source-breaking change is one in which updating the library at compile time will break clients at compile time. That's relevant for libraries distributed with an app as well as for libraries that are part of the OS. You may not care, but I do, and I think other package authors will too.

??? Of course I care about getting warnings when I’ve chosen to update a dependency. Where did I ever imply otherwise?

What I’m saying is that if I’m embedding such a library in my app *now* and I’m importing it *now*, I shouldn’t get a warning about handling unknown cases off non-frozen enums *now*.

And if I am going to see such warnings now, then the document needs to include how those “false positives” will be eliminated in the future.

Dave