[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Revamp the playground quicklook APIs

Connor Wakamo cwakamo at apple.com
Tue Jan 9 19:21:20 CST 2018

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 4:21 PM, Ben Rimmington <me at benrimmington.com> wrote:
>
> Something like this was attempted (and reverted) for Swift 3:
>
> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160808/026088.html>
>
> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/commit/e2610e3fa91b437e06e768aaef6820d755489717>
>
> <https://github.com/apple/swift-xcode-playground-support/commit/0f42ade5a6302cf953a3ed32a892f23e8e150c62>
>
> Is it now possible to `import PlaygroundSupport` outside of a playground?

No, it is not. This is a known limitation of the proposal that is acknowledged in the full text of the proposal.

For the corelibs case (and for libraries provided by the OS), it’s expected that the PlaygroundLogger library be updated to support generating rich log data for new types.

For third-party modules there’s not a great solution, though since playgrounds have fairly limited access to third-party modules and because usage of CustomPlaygroundQuickLookable outside of playgrounds is low (as determined by searching GitHub and the source compatibility suite), the proposal asserts that this is a reasonable trade-off for removing something this domain-specific from the standard library.

Since the new protocol doesn’t itself use any custom types, a workaround for this limitation is possible:

	// MyFramework.swift
	public struct MyStruct {
		var playgroundRepresentation: Any? { … }
	}

	// PlaygroundAuxiliarySource.swift
	import MyFramework
	import PlaygroundSupport

	extension MyStruct: CustomPlaygroundRepresentable {}

The proposal intentionally chose to place this in PlaygroundSupport instead of the standard library because it should be possible in a future Swift release to move this protocol from PlaygroundSupport to the standard library (because PlaygroundSupport doesn’t have any ABI concerns at this time), whereas it wouldn’t be possible to go in the reverse direction. (And if we determine that this protocol should live in the standard library during the course of the review process, I’d still want to proceed otherwise as planned — add the new protocol, deprecate-then-remove the old protocol/enum, and provide a shim library for playgrounds only.)

Connor