[swift-evolution] Proposal: Introduce User-defined "Dynamic Member Lookup" Types

Joe DeCapo snoogansbc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 18:13:01 CST 2017

> On Dec 4, 2017, at 11:24 PM, C. Keith Ray <keithray at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Not everyone uses the IDE as a crutch for writing code. As someone who has used many languages, editors, and operating systems, I don't rely on autocomplete and sometimes turn it off because it gets in my way.
>
> my experience with C# was sometimes frustrating because it could be hard to find the return type of a function, or the type of a "var" variable. Xcode's playgrounds, faster search, and "print(type(of:x))" provides a nicer experience.
>
> (you should try Resharper and C# to see what refactoring support should look like.)

Yeah, my main point was that things like autocompletion shouldn't really be a huge issue for this proposal. Even if we could match the state of the art in Python, it still would be inferior to the state of the art in Swift.

I've heard lots of good things about C# and the tooling around it, but being primarily a Mac user I've yet to find time to spend on a project in it. I definitely wouldn't be against trying it out some day :)