[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0190: Target environment platform condition

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Mon Nov 20 16:57:48 CST 2017

> On 17 Nov 2017, at 9:23 am, Ted Kremenek via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> The review of "SE-0190 - Target environment platform condition" begins now and runs through November 24, 2017.
>
> The proposal is available here:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0190-target-environment-platform-condition.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0190-target-environment-platform-condition.md>
> Reviews are an important part of the Swift evolution process. All review feedback should be sent to the swift-evolution mailing list at:

> or, if you would like to keep your feedback private, directly to the review manager.
>
> When replying, please try to keep the proposal link at the top of the message:
>
> Proposal link: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0190-target-environment-platform-condition.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0190-target-environment-platform-condition.md>
> Reply text
> Other replies
> What goes into a review of a proposal?
>
> The goal of the review process is to improve the proposal under review through constructive criticism and, eventually, determine the direction of Swift.
>
> When reviewing a proposal, here are some questions to consider:
>
> What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I think it’s good in theory, but I am concerned that there is currently only one example case of “simulator”, which also seems somewhat limited to Apple Platforms. Would another case “device” make sense?

Also a few questions I have:
How would this be extended to make sense for each platform? Say on platforms that actually have an emulator (rather than a simulator) how would this apply to those cases?
How does it make sense for the desktop where we could compile on the platform, and there would *be* no simulator?
Could there be other relevant cases we can add at other times?
Would these cases only make sense for Platform Vendors or IDEs to manage?
> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I think it makes sense to clean this up. The current checks are remarkably obscure and full of unsafe assumptions it would be good to sort out. But I’d like to see this solution fleshed out to a solution that is appropriate beyond the iOS/tvOS/watchOS ecosystems.
> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

No, but I have run into the same problems documented here in Obj-C and Swift.
> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

A quick reading.