[swift-evolution] Proposal: Allow operators to have parameters with default values

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Sat Nov 4 01:48:17 CDT 2017

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 8:40 AM, Dave DeLong via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> That’s cool, but a hygienic macro system isn’t anywhere on the Swift roadmap.
>
> Chris has mentioned in interviews that such a system is "a big feature that’s open-ended and requires a huge design process” which makes off-the-table for Swift 5, and (I’m guessing) unlikely for Swift 6 too.
>
> Personally I’d like to be able to better debug my apps in Swift 4.1 rather than waiting another 2 or 3 years for a magical macro system to somehow solve this.

Heh. I sort of feel that adding procedural macros to a language with a complex syntax and semantics like Swift doesn’t make much sense at all. I would be pretty strongly opposed to any macro system proposal unless a compelling case could be made that it would improve implementation quality by significantly simplifying the code (for example, by moving parts of the type checker into the standard library).

Slava