[swift-evolution] Adding Result to the Standard Library

Dave DeLong swift at davedelong.com
Thu Nov 2 13:12:57 CDT 2017

I think I’d personally rather see this done with a generic error as well, like:

enum GenericResult<T, E: Error> {
	case success(T)
	case failure(E)
}

And a typealias:

typealias Result<T> = GenericResult<T, AnyError>

This would require an “AnyError” type to type-erase a specific Error, but I’ve come across many situations where a strongly-typed error is incredibly useful, and I’d be reluctant to see that thrown away.

Dave