[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 01:18:42 CDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Adam Kemp <adam.kemp at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 14, 2017, at 10:32 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Therefore, it is entirely OK (to me) if the result is something that is
> so obtuse as to be at first meaningless to most people.
>
> I can’t speak for others, but it’s not ok with me. API is UX. It should be
> understandable and approachable. If this were a function that was
> considered dangerous and we wanted to discourage its use then maybe I could
> buy this argument, but I don’t think that’s quite the case here. Even if
> you don’t think it’s the best API to use or the most common it should still
> be named clearly.

I don't disagree with you that it should be _clear_. I'm simply wondering
out loud whether it is possible to name this method _intuitively_ (i.e.,
clear without resorting to documentation) given that it lives in the nexus
of an inherent contradiction between protocol and implementing type which
is anything but intuitive (or even clear after you read the documentation).

If it is not possible to name this method _intuitively_, then it is not
possible to name it _well_. Then, given the option between
obtuse-but-correct and approachable-but-misleading, I would opt for the
former as the _least bad_ option.