[swift-evolution] [Draft] Rename Sequence.elementsEqual

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 00:32:40 CDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Adam Kemp <adam.kemp at apple.com> wrote:

> The fact is, no matter how much it surprises and bothers you, there is
> clear evidence from the reactions in this thread that the proposed name is
> not as clear as you think it is. It doesn’t matter why.

Disagree strongly that it doesn't matter why. I'm trying to figure out what
the term is being confused for, and why people are encountering this
confusion, because that is essential to improving upon it.

This thread could be more productive if you would consider the various
> other proposed names with an open mind instead of just expressing shock
> that people don’t interpret the proposed name the way you would like them
> to. There’s nothing you can do about that. It’s just the way it is.

Disagree here too; whether a method is understood or misunderstood can be
affected by much more than just the name; for instance, the documentation
for that method, whether the terminology is used elsewhere in similar APIs,
whether introductory materials introduce the terminology and use it
consistently, etc. All of these can be modifiable factors that can be
looked into.

Let’s see what we can come up with that more people intuitively understand.

That would be nice, but as I said, not necessarily the first priority here.
As this method is not intended to be the first-choice function for
comparison and the motivating problem is _presence of misunderstanding_
rather than _lack of understanding_, I'd like to first come up with a name
that people do not intuitively misunderstand. Given that the underlying
root cause is that the protocols are not a perfect fit for unordered types,
I am quite doubtful that there is any solution possible that many people
can intuitively understand. Therefore, it is entirely OK (to me) if the
result is something that is so obtuse as to be at first meaningless to most
people.

On Oct 14, 2017, at 9:49 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <