[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Ted Kremenek kremenek at apple.com
Sun Oct 1 23:39:27 CDT 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 4:00 AM, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>>> Ones with proof that they were ever made! Once again you are stating that these issues were "considered", yet you show not a single shred of proof that that was the case. You're asking me to take you at your word but I have no reason to trust that the problem has been as carefully considered as you claim.
>>> I was involved in one such discussion and the response from the core team was frankly pitiful; they did not provide any justification whatsoever.
>>
>> Chris Lattner already said that the core team discussed your concerns:
>>
>> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170814/038854.html>
>>
>> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170814/038883.html>
>>
>> The original idea was for most types to be *implicitly* equatable and hashable:
>>
>> <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160307/012099.html>
>>
>> The accepted proposal, with *explicit* declaration of conformance, is a good compromise.
>>
>> Instead of discussing hypothetical issues with SE-0185, we can wait for Swift 4.1 beta.
>

><Content removed because of code of conduct violation>

I’m sad to see the thread go this way.  Myself and others who want to make swift-evolution feel like a place where ideas are heard certainly are sensitive to individuals getting frustrated.  That said, closing out the thread in a way that clearly violates the code of conduct (and thus the core sense of courtesy and professionalism we want to maintain on the list) isn’t effective either.  I think the thread should stop here, and remedial actions will be taken to stem this negative dialogue from continuing.