[swift-evolution] A path forward on rationalizing unicode identifiers and operators

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Sun Oct 1 18:50:01 CDT 2017

> On Oct 1, 2017, at 4:30 PM, Matt Whiteside via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> That said, it’s unclear to me that superscript T is clearly an operator, any more than would be superscript H (Hermitian), superscript 2, superscript 3, etc. But at any rate, this would be discussion for the future
>
> Allowing superscripted characters to be used as operators seems like it would take the proposal down a rabbit hole.

Don’t worry: IIRC, that operator isn’t accepted by Swift 4, so it wouldn’t be the topic of the first rounds of the proposal.

I was simply trying to get across the idea of “design for utility”, and the utility of superscript T is really about transposing matrices.  That proposal would be a follow-on after the already-accepted set of stuff is rationalized :)

-Chris