[swift-evolution] A path forward on rationalizing unicode identifiers and operators

Matt Whiteside mwhiteside.dev at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 18:30:42 CDT 2017

> That said, it’s unclear to me that superscript T is clearly an operator, any more than would be superscript H (Hermitian), superscript 2, superscript 3, etc. But at any rate, this would be discussion for the future

Allowing superscripted characters to be used as operators seems like it would take the proposal down a rabbit hole.  It’s getting into the realm of 2 dimensional notation.  It would raise questions like: should we allow over script or under script operators?  Or, should ‘inert’ superscripts and subscripts be allowed as part of identifiers, as they are sometimes in physics (for example transformed variables are sometimes ‘primed’).

-Matt