[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Explicit Synthetic Behaviour

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 19:49:45 CDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 06:20 Gwendal Roué <gwendal.roue at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> If I take on my free time exposing issues, it's because I hope that
> maybe some reader will consider them with proper attention, then maybe
> agree that there is an issue worth investigating, and then many conclude
> that a made decision has to be reverted. That's a multi-step process. And
> that process starts with a proper read of the issues that have been exposed.
> >
> > Keep in mind that by posting to this list, you are also demanding other
> people spend their free time on the issue. And again, these issues have
> already been discussed. If a point is made once but doesn't carry the day,
> repeating it again and again doesn't make it more convincing.
>
> The fact that you fail at evaluating the relevance of an issue, as
> exemplified by the fact that you never answer directly to the described
> problems, does not make that issue moot.

As I have already replied, you have provided examples, but I fail to see
any unanticipated problem that is illustrated by them. It appears that the
proposed implementation for SE-0185 causes each of your examples to behave
exactly as the proposal authors would intend them to. You may disagree that
SE-0185 is desirable, but that is quite distinct from bringing up a new
insight about something unanticipated.

Instead, it may well end in the ears of people who have been more engaged
> in the subject: Tony Allevato as the author of SE-0185, and Chris Lattner
> the review manager.

Yes, it is clear that you and others are trying to re-open a debate about
SE-0185. And I am writing to ask you not to do that, as it is contrary to
the standard procedure by which this list evaluates proposals. There is
deliberately a preset period of time for consideration. It serves the
purpose of promoting timely feedback, since community memebers are
incentivized to put forward the most fully developed thoughts while the
idea has the attention of the greatest possible proportion of those who are
engaged in the community, and before the core team makes a decision; it
also preserves forward momentum by causing the community to move on to
other issues once a decision is taken. I'm sure all who participate on this
list feel strongly that one or another decision is wrongly taken. However,
it is extremely disrespectful to others involved in this process to insist
that the decisions with which you happen to disagree are the ones which,
right now, need to be reconsidered because you have decided that it is a
convenient time for you to re-state your thoughts again.

Their feedback would be especially appreciated, considering that the