[swift-evolution] [Concurrency] Reactive streams as building blocks for actors etc.

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Tue Aug 29 01:14:31 CDT 2017

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 6:56 PM, Howard Lovatt via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Many of the currently popular server side frameworks are switching to Reactive Streams:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_Streams#Adoption <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactive_Streams#Adoption>
>
> for their underlying communication, including Akka. Reactive Streams are also to become builtin to Java, as the Flow class, in version 9.
>
> Would it be wise if Swift 5 also builtin Reactive Stream protocols and built its Actor implementation etc. on top of this protocol?

In MHO, yes, it would be great to build a reactive stream abstraction as well.   I agree with you that this is an effectively “obvious” part of the eventual model, and that we will almost certainly end up building it.  It would also make sense to have foreach over an async sequence be itself implicitly async.  I haven’t sketched that out, but it seems like a few straight-forward steps beyond what is in the manifesto doc.

I’ve added a mention of these to the doc, thanks!
https://gist.github.com/lattner/31ed37682ef1576b16bca1432ea9f782#further-extensions

-Chris