[swift-evolution] New async keyword usage

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Fri Aug 25 00:14:50 CDT 2017

> On Aug 24, 2017, at 4:40 AM, Trevör ANNE DENISE via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> I was really interested by the recent Task-based concurrency manifesto and Concrete proposal for async semantics in Swift.
>
> Looking at beginAsync() and Futures, I had an idea for a new syntax based on the `async` keyword, I'd love to hear your feedback about this idea:
> https://github.com/adtrevor/Swift-ideas/blob/master/New%20async%20keyword%20usage.md <https://github.com/adtrevor/Swift-ideas/blob/master/New%20async%20keyword%20usage.md>
>
> Would such a syntax make any sense?

Yes, it is entirely possible that we will want to provide more syntactic sugar than the proposal suggests: the proposal is intentionally designed to be minimal, so we can get it in place, get experience using it, then decide whether any specific syntactic pain point is significant enough to be worth adding additional sugar/complexity.

As has been mentioned in other threads, the hope is that “beginAsync” is actually extremely rare in practice.  If that is the case, there is little point to sugaring it.

-Chris