[swift-evolution] ExpressibleByStringInterpolation

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Tue Aug 8 23:08:03 CDT 2017

I had a proposal for replacing/reintroducing `ExpressibleByStringInterpolation` (which is currently deprecated pending a redesign), but it landed too late in the Swift 4 cycle to be considered. The PR is here: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/659

I think it squares up relatively well against the Swift 5 standards:

* It addresses ABI stability and strings, which are both Swift 5 themes.

* It includes an implementation, but it definitely needs a rebase, probably needs someone more experienced than me to examine it with a fine-toothed comb, and might need a significant redesign.

* I believe it includes tests.

* I don't think it's been run against the source compatibility suite. (Is there a way for random outside developers to do that?)

So what's the next step at this point?

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies