[swift-evolution] [Request for Feedback] Providing defaults for <Codable> reading and writing.

Greg Parker gparker at apple.com
Mon Jul 10 21:14:19 CDT 2017

> On Jul 10, 2017, at 5:16 PM, William Shipley via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> (Note the horrible hack on KeyedEncodingContainer where I had to special-case arrays of <Equatable>s, I guess because the compiler doesn’t know an array of <Equatable>s is Equatable itself?)

Correct. Swift does not yet have the necessary language machinery to express "Array<T> is Equatable whenever T is Equatable".

SE-0143 "Conditional conformances" is approved but not yet implemented.
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0143-conditional-conformances.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0143-conditional-conformances.md>

--
Greg Parker     gparker at apple.com <mailto:gparker at apple.com>     Runtime Wrangler