[swift-evolution] ability to derive a class from a struct or other value type

Mike Kluev mike.kluev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 19:15:08 CDT 2017

On 23 June 2017 at 02:43, Tony Allevato <tony.allevato at gmail.com
<tony.allevato at gmail.com>> wrote:

> There's been talk about "protocol forwarding" that I think would achieve a
> lot of these goals, without the sharp edges involved trying to define
> inheritance between a class and a struct. The proposed feature would
> eliminate the boilerplate you're talking about.
>
> I'm on my phone so I can't pull up links to old discussions, but Matthew
> Johnson is who was pushing it so you may want to look back at what he's
> said on the topic.

thanks, i skimmed through it now and will have a closer look later.
does it address (2) though? (preexisting value types we can't change)

as to the sharp edges: i do not see a single one in the "manual"
implementation of this approach and the idea of this proposal is that it is
equivalent to the manual implementation...

Mike