[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0180: String Index Overhaul

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 20:16:27 CDT 2017

I’m coming to this conversation rather late, so forgive the naive question:

Your proposal claims that current code with failable APIs is needlessly
awkward and that most code only interchanges indices that are known to
succeed. So, why is it not simply a precondition of string slicing that the
index be correctly aligned? It seems like this would simplify the behavior
greatly.