[swift-evolution] Swift phases and mis-timed proposals

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Tue Jun 13 15:51:33 CDT 2017

> On Jun 13, 2017, at 11:46 AM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I imagine that recent discussions like mapped keypaths, ordered sets, `count(where:)`, etc. could have a home for discussion and exploration without getting blocked by "out of scope" if there were a separate "Substandard Library" repository, mailing list, and process (potentially staffed in part or full by non-Apple personnel) that did not rely on internal Apple timelines and delivery benchmarks. Think "farm league for SE" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_team <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_team>). It would lower the burden on SE but provide a way forward to discuss and develop ideas within the framework of coherent language design.

+1

Not even just for development… a standard repository for “substandard” library(s) would be a great for commonly used types that aren’t quite commonly used enough to include in stdlib, and IMHO, could really help Swift’s ecosystem (I’m not claiming that it’s poor now or anything, but there’s nothing wrong with making it the best we can).

- Dave Sweeris