[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Change Void meaning

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 17:42:03 CDT 2017

John, could you clarify the details regarding function types, SE-0066 and SE-0110
implementations *planned* for Swift 4 release? I believe all these are important
questions to be answered to understand the near feature of Swift and to be prepared
for changes.

Given :

func fooParam(_ x: Int, _ y: Int){}
func fooTuple(_ x: (Int, Int)) {}

and

var closureParam = { (x: Int, y: Int) in print("in closureParam") }
var closureTuple = { (x: (Int, Int)) in  }

* What will be the result in Swift 4 release? :
   1. type(of:fooParam)
   2. type(of:fooTuple)
   3. type(of:closureParam)
   4. type(of:closureTuple)

* Will this be true in Swift 4 release? :
   1. type(of: fooParam) == type(of: fooTuple)
   2. fooParam is ((Int,Int))->()
   3. fooTuple is (Int,Int)->()
   4. type(of: closureParam) == type(of: closureTuple)
   5. closureParam is ((Int,Int))->()
   6. closureTuple is (Int,Int)->()

* Will this code still be valid in Swift 4 release? :
   1.
	closureTuple = closureParam
	closureTuple((1,2)) // prints "in closureParam"

   2.
	var f: () -> Int = { 5 }     // function with no parameters
	var g: (()) -> Int = { 5 }  // function taking a single () parameter
	f = g
	f()

* Does core team plan to introduce some syntactic sugar for tuple argument
destructuring in closures *before* Swift 4 release?
If so, what do you think about a suggestion to allow type inference for currently
allowed syntax for tuple argument destructuring? I.e.
allowed: .filter {(friend: (name: String, age: Int)) in friend.age >= 18 }
proposed: .filter {(friend: (name, age)) in friend.age >= 18 }

* And the same for passing function with no parameters if function with single Void
parameter is expected? I.e. in such situation:
func foo<T>(_ callback: (T)->Void) {}
func bar(){}
foo(bar)

Thank you for your time.