[swift-evolution] Swift phases and mis-timed proposals

Paul Cantrell cantrell at pobox.com
Mon Jun 12 15:48:53 CDT 2017

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 3:03 PM, Austin Zheng <austinzheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Great Access Modifiers Wars and the recent fussing of SE-110 fallout are good examples of these problems.
>
> I want to mention that SE-0110 is part of a suite of proposals originally asked for or proposed directly by the core team as part of an overarching attempt to fix issues with how the type system handles function and tuple types. It was never intended as self-contained fussing over aesthetic purity, or pretty much anything else it's been accused as in recent posts to the list. In this case, there is a "coherent big picture"; the problem is that this big picture was laid out months ago and it's not really fair to ask newcomers to the discussion to dig through mailing list archives to try and find the relevant posts.

Right, sorry to pick on 110. I realize that proposal has taken a lot of abuse and become a bit of a boogeyman.

I do realize that there was a coherent (and good!) plan behind the sequence of SEs that lead to 110. And for the record, I DO NOT accuse anyone of “self-contained fussing over aesthetic purity!” More generally, I do not approve of the peanut gallery’s occasional degeneration into nasty ad hominems. I have the utmost trust in the expertise and motivation of the core team and proposal authors, who have done heroic, excellent work.

The problem here as I see it is that that chain of tuple-related SEs that lead to 110, once approved, had unintended consequences for dictionary-as-collection operations and RxSwift — consequences that were hard to foresee in discussion, but that prototyping could likely have revealed earlier. (My concern #2.)

We are now faced with the unpleasant prospect of working out those consequences under a tight timeline, and thus looking for a local solution within tight design constraints. (My concern #1.) It seems likely to me that we’re going to end up with yet another little language wrinkle that solves the immediate problem, but adds to language bloat.

That’s probably the best we can do for the concerns raised by 110 for now; I do not mean to derail or denegrate that debate. My argument is that there may be an underlying process problem — and thus process solution — to consider for future work.

Cheers, P