[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Mark Lacey mark.lacey at apple.com
Tue Jun 6 16:45:29 CDT 2017

> On Jun 6, 2017, at 11:45 AM, Vladimir.S <svabox at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 06.06.2017 20:10, Mark Lacey via swift-evolution wrote:
>>> On Jun 6, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Ray Fix via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>

>>> FWIW, after doing a project migration last night and this morning, I am reluctantly +1 for reverting SE-0110 and seeing a new proposal that can be properly evaluated.  The split-the-difference compromise mentioned seems like just that, a compromise that will need to be revisited anyway.
>>>
>>> While I agreed with the spirit of the original proposal, the assertion that "Minor changes to user code may be required if this proposal is accepted.” seems like it underestimated the magnitude of the impact. In almost every case, my code lost clarity.
>> Did you run into issues other than the “tuple destructuring” issue that began this thread?
>> If so, can you provide some examples to illustrate what other issues people are hitting in practice?
>> I put “tuple destructuring” in quotes here because although it looks very much like what is happening in Swift 3 and earlier, there was no real tuple destructuring support in parameters (as evidenced by the fact that things like (x, (y, z)) never worked).
>> The behavior of allowing:
>>   [“key” : 1].map { key, value in … }
>> is the result of allowing the two-argument closure to be passed to a function (map) that expects a one-argument function parameter where the argument is a two element tuple.
>> I don’t think anyone disagrees that removing this functionality without simultaneously providing a real destructuring feature regresses the usability of the language where closures are concerned.
>
> What if compiler in Swift 4 will be smart enough to generate correct *type* of provided closure depending of required type of function parameter *only* if closure defined inside the function call *and* has no type annotations for its arguments?

It might be possible to get something like this working.

> I mean, that having
> func fooTuple(_ c: ((Int,Int))->Void) {..}
> func fooParams(_ c: (Int,Int)->Void) {..}
>
> , when we call
> fooTuple {x,y in }
> - compiler probably can generate closure of correct type ((Int,Int))->Void from this code.
>
> and for
> fooParams {x,y in }
> - compiler can generate closure of type (Int,Int)->Void
>
> But, I suggest this can be allowed only if there is no types specified for x,y. This is to reduce the ambiguity - we can't just declare the closure constant or func with syntax {x,y in } as we need types for x,y in this case, i.e.
>
> let closure1 = {(x: Int, y: Int) in ..} // this is definitely (Int,Int)->()
> let closure2 = {(x: (Int, Int)) in ..} // this is definitely ((Int,Int))->()
>
> // let closure3 = {x, y in .. } // invalid syntax

It would be source breaking to not allow this to work in the cases where it does today. We would have to consider this as a function taking two arguments.

> //fooTuple(closure1) // invalid parameter type
> //fooParams(closure2) // invalid parameter type
> fooTuple {x,y in } // ok, ((Int,Int))->() closure will be generated
> fooParams {x,y in } // ok, (Int,Int)->() closure will be generated
>
> So, closure declared inside a func call without types assigned to closure's arguments - could be a very special case, when compiler will generate closure of needed type.
>
> As I understand, such solution can dramatically reduce the problems with migration developers have. And also this will be Swift3 compatible.

Yes, if something like this could be implemented robustly it would make the cases where a closure is immediately passed as an argument to a function call work and allow most Swift 3 code to continue working.

Mark