[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 13:45:44 CDT 2017

On 06.06.2017 20:10, Mark Lacey via swift-evolution wrote:

>> On Jun 6, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Ray Fix via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org
>> <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>

>> FWIW, after doing a project migration last night and this morning, I am reluctantly
>> +1 for reverting SE-0110 and seeing a new proposal that can be properly evaluated.
>>  The split-the-difference compromise mentioned seems like just that, a compromise
>> that will need to be revisited anyway.
>>
>> While I agreed with the spirit of the original proposal, the assertion that "Minor
>> changes to user code may be required if this proposal is accepted.” seems like it
>> underestimated the magnitude of the impact. In almost every case, my code lost clarity.
>
> Did you run into issues other than the “tuple destructuring” issue that began this
> thread?
>
> If so, can you provide some examples to illustrate what other issues people are
> hitting in practice?
>
> I put “tuple destructuring” in quotes here because although it looks very much like
> what is happening in Swift 3 and earlier, there was no real tuple destructuring
> support in parameters (as evidenced by the fact that things like (x, (y, z)) never
> worked).
>
> The behavior of allowing:
>    [“key” : 1].map { key, value in … }
> is the result of allowing the two-argument closure to be passed to a function (map)
> that expects a one-argument function parameter where the argument is a two element tuple.
>
> I don’t think anyone disagrees that removing this functionality without
> simultaneously providing a real destructuring feature regresses the usability of the
> language where closures are concerned.

What if compiler in Swift 4 will be smart enough to generate correct *type* of
provided closure depending of required type of function parameter *only* if closure
defined inside the function call *and* has no type annotations for its arguments?

I mean, that having
func fooTuple(_ c: ((Int,Int))->Void) {..}
func fooParams(_ c: (Int,Int)->Void) {..}

, when we call
fooTuple {x,y in }
- compiler probably can generate closure of correct type ((Int,Int))->Void from this
code.

and for
fooParams {x,y in }
- compiler can generate closure of type (Int,Int)->Void

But, I suggest this can be allowed only if there is no types specified for x,y. This
is to reduce the ambiguity - we can't just declare the closure constant or func with
syntax {x,y in } as we need types for x,y in this case, i.e.

let closure1 = {(x: Int, y: Int) in ..} // this is definitely (Int,Int)->()
let closure2 = {(x: (Int, Int)) in ..} // this is definitely ((Int,Int))->()

// let closure3 = {x, y in .. } // invalid syntax

//fooTuple(closure1) // invalid parameter type
//fooParams(closure2) // invalid parameter type
fooTuple {x,y in } // ok, ((Int,Int))->() closure will be generated
fooParams {x,y in } // ok, (Int,Int)->() closure will be generated

So, closure declared inside a func call without types assigned to closure's arguments
- could be a very special case, when compiler will generate closure of needed type.

As I understand, such solution can dramatically reduce the problems with migration
developers have. And also this will be Swift3 compatible.