[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 14:32:42 CDT 2017

On 01.06.2017 19:31, Tommaso Piazza wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I made a comparison of Swift's 4 lack of tuple unsplatting, here is how it stands in
> comparison with other languages
>
> https://gist.github.com/blender/53f9568617654c38a219dd4a8353d935

Thank you! Very useful information. And also I really like the opinion of
@AliSoftware in comments for this article.

I'd suggest to add this variant to Swift section in your article:

let eighteenOrMore = ["Tom" : 33, "Rebecca" : 17, "Siri" : 5].filter {
	(arg: (name: String, age: Int)) in arg.age >= 18 }

(I believe it is better that 2 others Swift variants.)

It seems for me that we need to allow some special syntax for *explicit* tuple
destructuring in closures to make all happy.

FWIW These suggestions are my favorite:

1. Just allow type inference for tuple's destructured variables in this position:

.filter { (arg: (name, age)) in arg.age >= 18 }

2. (1) + allow underscore for tuple argument name:

.filter { (_: (name, age)) in age >= 18 }

3. (2) + allow to omit parenthesis (probably only in case of just one tuple argument)

.filter { _: (name, age) in age >= 18 }

4. Use pattern matching syntax:

.filter { case let (name, age) in age >= 18 }

(looks similar as allowed today: if case let (name, age) = x { print(name, age) }  )

5. Use two pairs of parenthesis :

.filter { ((name, age)) in age >= 18 }

Btw, about the 5th variant. If took what is allowed today:
.filter { (arg: (name: String, age: Int)) in arg.age >= 18 }
, and allow type inference for tuple part arguments, we'll have this:
.filter { (arg: (name, age)) in arg.age >= 18 }
, and if additionally allow skipping of tuple argument declaration we'll have:
.filter { ((name, age)) in arg.age >= 18 }
I.e. two pairs for parenthesis for tuple destructuring, and such syntax is similar to
the type this closure should have : ((String, Int)) -> Bool