[swift-evolution] Implicit truncation

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed May 24 01:35:22 CDT 2017

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Guillaume Lessard via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> > On May 23, 2017, at 19:55, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Guillaume Lessard via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > /// Truncating the fractional part of `source` is equivalent to rounding
> > /// toward zero.
> >
> > You are quite right; this is still there, and I didn't see it! Well,
> let's fix that.
>
> Meanwhile, in the real world, truncation of a number or a series means
> reducing its precision. Of a floating point number, it’s removing the
> fractional part. Exactly the use you want to suppress. Why in the world do
> you insist that it must be redefined to be something else?

Let's be clear: this has nothing to do with what I want or like. This
decision was made previously, by other people. I am simply telling you what
it is and helping to ensure that it is consistently implemented. If you
were to go back into the archives, you'd see that I rather liked the
familiar names. But the time for debating that is over. Someone else's
arguments carried the day. We move on.

> Must Swift be incomprehensible to the uninitiated?

Come on. "Rounding toward zero" is comprehensible to anyone. But again, the
decision has been made.