[swift-evolution] Implicit truncation

Guillaume Lessard glessard at tffenterprises.com
Tue May 23 23:47:26 CDT 2017

> On May 23, 2017, at 19:55, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Guillaume Lessard via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> /// Truncating the fractional part of `source` is equivalent to rounding
> /// toward zero.
>
> You are quite right; this is still there, and I didn't see it! Well, let's fix that.

Meanwhile, in the real world, truncation of a number or a series means reducing its precision. Of a floating point number, it’s removing the fractional part. Exactly the use you want to suppress. Why in the world do you insist that it must be redefined to be something else? Must Swift be incomprehensible to the uninitiated?

Sincerely,
Guillaume Lessard