[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0169: Improve Interaction Between private Declarations and Extensions

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Mon Apr 17 16:39:49 CDT 2017

>  That’s why open is a success IMHO
I always appreciate when personal opinion is marked — I just want to point out this could apply to two aspects here ("that's why" and "open is a success" ;-)

> I don’t think its worth arguing about renaming again. Yes, its technically a better option,
There's rarely complete agreement about anything, but exceptions aside: Is there consensus about this?
If that's actually the case, I think we really should take a step back and question ourselves:
This would mean Swift discards a compromise which was afaics widely accepted in favour of something worse because… it is to much work and the "other languages" would laugh about our fickleness?
And would keeping status quo be so much worse than status quo with new names?
I'm not sure about the longevity of the Swift 4 model of access control (however it may look like), but afaik, we might have to live with it for a long time — and many future users of Swift (without any legacy-knowledge) as well.