[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sun Apr 9 21:44:02 CDT 2017

> On Apr 9, 2017, at 9:29 AM, John Holdsworth via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Perhaps we can find common ground on 1) and 2) and even 3) with a view to resubmitting if there is time. Seems mostly like we just need to discuss the delimiter further and decide whether the indent trimming is a bug or a feature to keep moving and not let another year slip by.

Honestly, I think this is a little premature. If I had to summarize this thread, I think what I'm seeing is:

	1. We wish the proposal were more specific on a few points, like the de-indenting algorithm.

	2. We have lots of different pet syntaxes and preferences.

	3. But most of us are still in favor of accepting the proposal.

To back up that last point, I ran through the thread and tried to quickly figure out what everyone was thinking. These people seem to be opposed to the proposal:

	1. Haravikk doesn't like the de-indenting and seems iffy on multiline strings in general.
	2. David Waite wants a suite of different, orthogonal string literal features to get enough flexibility.
	3. Félix Cloutier is worried that supporting interpolation makes this feature a powerful footgun.
	4. Adrian Zubarev wants to extend single-quoted string literals instead of developing a second syntax.

These people want the proposal to be more specific, but appear to be in favor as long as the missing details don't reveal problems:

	1. Greg Parker (maybe?)
	2. Xiaodi Wu
	3. Gwendel Roué

And these people all seem basically positive, though sometimes with reservations or bikeshedding suggestions:

	1. Me
	2. Tony Allevato
	3. David Hart
	4. Daniel Duan
	5. Ricardo Parada
	6. Kevin Nattinger
	7. Víctor Pimentel Rodríguez
	8. Jarod Long (I think)
	9. Ben Cohen
	10. Thorsten Seitz
	11. Howard Lovatt
	12. T.J. Usiyan

Evolution reviews are not referenda, but I think it's fair to say that the sentiment is mostly positive.

(And if the core team does say they like the approach but want clarifications, I'd be happy to pitch in and earn the co-author credit!)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies