[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Víctor Pimentel Rodríguez vpimentel at tuenti.com
Thu Apr 6 17:45:59 CDT 2017

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Proposal link:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0168-multi-line-string-literals.md
>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1

The first questions that pop into mind are "how do I write the character sequence """? And the literal \(something)?".

But if you think twice, those sequences would need to be escaped just like now with the existing simple string literals. So in the end if you know how to escape in a one-line literal, you know how to escape in a multi-line literal.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. Though I would use it not every day, sometimes I really need this syntax and I would have loved to have it. Also, from my own experience, this is even more important for server-side Swift apps.

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Very favorably, I think it trumps any other option that I've known and used, even some template languages.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I've followed the discussion and read the (small) proposal.

--
Víctor Pimentel