[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Kevin Nattinger swift at nattinger.net
Thu Apr 6 16:40:40 CDT 2017

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 2:35 PM, Joe Groff via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of SE-0168 "Multi-Line String Literals" begins now and runs through April 12, 2017. The proposal is available here:
>
> https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0168-multi-line-string-literals.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0168-multi-line-string-literals.md>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1
We definitely need a multi-line string solution, and I’m a fan of the python-like “”” solution.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Favorably.
This is Largely the same as python, with the addition of leading-space stripping, the lack of which is one of the biggest gripes I’ve had and seen with python’s “”” implementation.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Followed both the original discussion and the recent revival closely.