[swift-evolution] [Pitch] String revision proposal #1

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Thu Mar 30 10:45:52 CDT 2017

Loving it so far.

`encode` and `parseScalar[Forward|Backward]` feel asymmetric. What's
wrong with `decode[Forward|Backward]`?

`UnicodeParseResult<T, Index>` really feels like it could/should be
defined as `UnicodeEncoding.ParseResult<Index>` (or `DecodeResult`,
given the above). I can't remember if that generics limitation was
being lifted?

Best,

  Zachary Waldowski

  zach at waldowski.me

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 08:32 PM, Ben Cohen via swift-evolution wrote:
> Hi Swift Evolution,

> Below is a pitch for the first part of the String revision. This
> covers a number of changes that would allow the basic internals to be
> overhauled.
>

> Online version here:
> https://github.com/airspeedswift/swift-evolution/blob/3a822c799011ace682712532cfabfe32e9203fbb/proposals/0161-StringRevision1.md
>

> String Revision: Collection Conformance, C Interop, Transcoding

>  * Proposal: SE-0161
>  * Authors: Ben Cohen[1], Dave Abrahams[2]
>  * Review Manager: TBD
> Introduction

> This proposal is to implement a subset of the changes from the Swift 4
> String Manifesto[3].
> Specifically:

>  * Make String conform to BidirectionalCollection
>  * Make String conform to RangeReplaceableCollection
>  * Create a Substring type for String.SubSequence
>  * Create a Unicode protocol to allow for generic operations over both
>    types.
>  * Consolidate on a concise set of C interop methods.
>  * __Revise the transcoding infrastructure.
> Other existing aspects of String remain unchanged for the purposes of
> this proposal.
> Motivation

> This proposal follows up on a number of recommendations found in the
> manifesto:
> Collection conformance was dropped from String in Swift 2. After
> reevaluation, the feeling is that the minor semantic discrepancies
> (mainly with RangeReplaceableCollection) are outweighed by the
> significant benefits of restoring these conformances. For more detail
> on the reasoning, see here[4]
> While it is not a collection, the Swift 3 string does have slicing
> operations. String is currently serving as its own subsequence,
> allowing substrings to share storage with their “owner”. This can lead
> to memory leaks when small substrings of larger strings are stored long-
> term (see here[5] for more detail on this problem). Introducing a
> separate type of Substring to serve as String.Subsequence is
> recommended to resolve this issue, in a similar fashion to ArraySlice.
> As noted in the manifesto, support for interoperation with nul-
> terminated C strings in Swift 3 is scattered and incoherent, with 6
> ways to transform a C string into a String and four ways to do the
> inverse. These APIs should be replaced with a simpler set of methods
> on String.
> Proposed solution

> A new type, Substring, will be introduced. Similar to ArraySlice it
> will be documented as only for short- to medium-term storage:
>> *Important*

>> Long-term storage of Substring instances is discouraged. A substring
>> holds a reference to the entire storage of a larger string, not just
>> to the portion it presents, even after the original string’s lifetime
>> ends. Long-term storage of a substring may therefore prolong the
> [...]

Links:

  1. https://github.com/airspeedswift
  2. http://github.com/dabrahams/
  3. https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/StringManifesto.md