[swift-evolution] Smart KeyPaths

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Sun Mar 19 10:41:47 CDT 2017

I agree that they can get mixed up with static properties. However, I think I would not mind because it would only cause an ambiguity when having a static property with the same name as the property which would be an odd practice I think.

I was defining static properties with the same name as the property in order to smart key paths.  For example:

Class Person {
     static firstName: KeyPath<String>(“firstName”)
     static lastName: KeyPath<String>(“lastName”)

     var firstName: String
     var lastName: String

     …
}

So that I could create qualifiers, ie. Person.firstName.like(“R*”), and sort orderings, Person.firstName.asc().

I think with these smart key paths the need for these static properties that mirror the property on the instance would not be required.