[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Foundation Swift Archival & Serialization

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Fri Mar 17 02:35:48 CDT 2017

> [...]
>
> On 16 Mar 2017, at 13:27, David Hart wrote:
>
> > On 16 Mar 2017, at 20:55, Itai Ferber via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> I’m going to reply to this thread as a whole — apologies if there’s someone’s comment that I’ve missed.
>
> This is something that has come up in internal review, and we’ve certainly given it thought. As Zach has already mentioned, the primary concern with overloading based on return type is ambiguity.
> There are many cases in which Swift’s type system currently does not handle ambiguity in the way that you would expect, and it can be very surprising. For instance,
>
> func foo() -> Int { return 42 }
> func foo() -> Double { return .pi }
> func consumesInt(_ x : Int) { print(x) }
>
> let x = foo() // Ambiguous use of foo()
> consumesInt(x) // Even though x is going to be used as an Int
> let y: Int = x // Same here
> let x = foo() as Int works now, but it actually didn’t always — until a somewhat recent version of Swift AFAICT, the only way to resolve the ambiguity was through let x: Int = foo(). This has since been fixed, but it was very confusing to try to figure out the unambiguous way to call it.
>
> Keep in mind that this isn’t an unreasonable thing to want to do:
>
> struct Foo {
> var x: Int
> init(from decoder: Decoder) throws {
> let container = try decoder.container(keyedBy: CodingKeys.self)
>
> // Want to process an element before it’s assigned.
> let x = container.decode(forKey: .x) // Ambiguous call
>
> // Or whatever.
> if x < 0 {
> self.x = x + 100
> else {
> self.x = x * 200
> You can write let x: Int = container.decode(…) or let x = container.decode(…) as Int, but this isn’t always intuitive.
> That’s where I disagree. Let me try to prove my point:
>
> You bring up the example of having to store the decoded value in a variable before setting it to a typed property. But its also not unreasonable to want to do the same thing when encoding the value, possibly storing it into a different type. If we follow that argument, its also not very intuitive to have to do
>
> container.encode(x as Double, forKey: .x).
>
> Wouldn’t that be an argument to have an API like this:
>
> func encode<T>(_ value: Data?, forKey key: Key, as type: T.Type) throws
>
> I don’t agree that these are equivalent cases.
>
> Here, for an as cast to be valid, the type of x must be an existential (I’m guessing Any).
> The original container.encode(x, forKey: .x) call is not ambiguous because x has no type, but rather because the type of x does not match any of the overloads. You would get the same error as if you wrote
>
> struct NonCodableFoo {}
> let x = NonCodableFoo()
> container.encode(x, forKey: .x)
> You have to convert the type to something that fits one of the overloads.

Yes, sorry, I wasn't thinking straight.
> On encode, there cannot be any true ambiguity because it’s not possible to satisfy more than one of these concrete overloads. You cannot have a thing with a type which would satisfy both, say, Int and Double.
>
> I would argue that type inference is a core feature in Swift and that we should embrace it. I believe that in most cases the return value of encode will be stored into a typed property and type inference will do the right thing. In the few cases where the type has to be enforced, the patterns you mention above are not weird syntax; they are used and useful all over Swift:
>
> Sure, but I think these cases are not equivalent.
>
> let cgFloat: CGFloat = 42
>
> 42 has a default value of Int, but since CGFloat is ExpressibleByIntLiteral, this becomes the equivalent of writing let cfFloat = CGFloat(42), which would not be ambiguous without the CGFloat(); you would just get an Int.
>
> With let x = container.decode(forKey: .x), has has no type unless otherwise specified.
>
> let pi = 3.14159265359 as Float
>
> Same here, but with Double instead of Int, and Float instead of CGFloat…
>
> let person = factory.get<Person>() // potential feature in Generics Manifesto
>
> This isn’t type inference. This is type specification, which is exactly what we are trying to do. At the moment, explicit type specification has a different syntax: passing a metatype as an argument.
>
> If this feature were available, this is what we would use.
>
> The way I think about it is that the type argument is already there as a generic parameter. Adding an extra argument that needs to be explicitly given on every single call feels like unneeded verbosity to me.
>
> For consideration: why does let person = factory.get<Person>() seem reasonable, but let person = factory.get(Person.self) does not?

I'm sorry, I was just very bad at expressing myself.  Let me try again:

I'm not against type specialization: I think I'm just against the meta type argument variant (which is all we currently have unfortunately). I just think that type specialization should not be mandatory and that we should be able to rely on type inference whenever it's unambiguous. And once we have generic type specialization, we can have that flexibility.