[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Foundation Swift Archival & Serialization

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Mar 16 23:00:58 CDT 2017

> On Mar 16, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Matthew Johnson via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad

>>> Cool.  Any comment from the core team on whether this is a possibility?  If it is and nobody else wants to write a proposal I would be willing to do it.
>>
>> "Throwing Properties and Subscripts" proposal by Brent Royal-Gordon (12 months ago):
>>
>> <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/218>
>
> Oh, great!  I had forgotten about this.  It would be awesome if we could revive this for Swift 4 especially so it can be considered as part of the interface of this API.  Even if Foundation doesn't adopt the, they would be a great complement for those of us who would prefer the lighter syntax and are willing to use our own wrapper.

I think the limiting factor here is not reviewing the proposal, but implementing it. If someone comes up with a prototype implementation it would increase the odds of the proposal being accepted.

A big part of this would just be untangling a pile of code in SILGen for emitting function call arguments and applying them. Right now there’s too much duplication between method calls and property access and subscripts. I need to do some work in this area to implement default arguments for subscripts; I think this can be accomplished through some refactoring and deleting of code. I haven’t thought about throwing properties and subscripts but I imagine it would be similar.

Slava