[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Foundation Swift Encoders

Will Stanton willstanton1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 21:58:43 CDT 2017

Hello Itai,

Thanks for your response and its explanations!

Agreed that comprehension of multiple formats is important since there are a couple common ways of encoding JSON dates!

Still, ISO 8601 appears pretty often (though I don’t have data on that, Stack Overflow says RFC 7493 I-JSON prefers ISO 8601; https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7493#section-4.3), and as other servers might make/handle a lot of JSON produced to/from the API, I think it would be disadvantageous to default to `deferredToDate` (if `deferredToDate` doesn't use the ISO 8601 format).

As you mention, writers/readers have to agree on their format - my 2¢ is that ISO 8601 would be more common, and so a better default, than a Unix or reference date timestamp.

Regards,
Will Stanton

-—Gracias for the prediction :-)