[swift-evolution] Code blocks and trailing closures

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Mar 15 06:00:26 CDT 2017

I’m slightly confused by this. How is a trailing closure different from a code block in Swift? It’s basically the same thing with some extra syntax sugar because it happens to be the last parameter of your function.

You can simply write this if you wanted to:

myFucntion(someLabel: abc, closureLabel: { …; return })
Parentheses are indicating that your closure is immediately invoked.

let someInt = { return 42 }()
print(someInt)

let someClosureWhichReturnsAnInt = { return 42 } // You can reuse the closure
print(someClosureWhichReturnsAnInt()) // Invocation happens now here
return is scope based and it’s totally clear (to me) that in your case return will return from your closure with a value of Void.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail